Computer help.

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Moore010

Computer help.

#1 » Post by Moore010 » 17 Jan 2016 21:41

I'm trying to make/find a computer that can run WoW up to Cata, with FPS no lower than 30 in 10 mans on the highest settings possible.(depending on my budget.)

My budget is $200.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

-Future Rogue here on Primal.

legarmortelicti

Re: Computer help.

#2 » Post by legarmortelicti » 19 Jan 2016 00:07

That's an incredibly open ended question, the variety of hardware available is phenomenal.

Firstly, I presume you mean $US, but I have no idea what computer hardware is worth in the States so I'm only going to provide information on how WoW interacts with hardware so that you can draw your own conclusions.

I am a Linux fan boy so I have to pedal it, WoW runs great on Linux and you don't have to worry about licensing as the OS is free and Linux Mint is absolutely fantastic for beginners.

If you do go for Linux, you will want an Nvidia GPU, the driver is not open source but it is much better than what is currently available for AMD.

WoW is dependant on accessing graphic files so an SSD is almost mandatory for fast read times.
It also needs to be big enough to contain the 20-30GB directory that can make up a WoW install. On this note, another feather in Linux's cap is that an up to date, brand new release, can be installed in half the disk space of a Windows 7 install.

Depending on the number and type of addons you intend to run (I'm an addon whore and run a tonne), you will want at least 1-2GB of RAM for WoW alone.

If you decide to go balls-to-the-wall with RAM and have a tonne to spare, you might also consider a RAM disk to copy WoW's Data folder into.
This is the directory whose files are dynamically accessed during gameplay. There'e no point in storing the whole WoW directory in a RAM disk as the Addons and WTF folders (etc.) are only read during load screens.

It's rather an irrelevancy now as multi-core CPUs are the standard but I don't believe the WoW 3.3.5 client supports multi threading, this means it only runs on a single core. Therefore quad/hexa/octa/giga core CPUs should not be a massive priority.
NB. I'm at work at the moment so I'm not 100% about WoW 3.3.5 only running on 1 core.
Looking for anyone to chime in on whether or not the Cata release was a 64 bit application that allowed multi threading.

Moore010

#3 » Post by Moore010 » 20 Jan 2016 19:43

Thank you for the reply, really all I'm looking for is the best computer that I can get for $200. I know it's an open ended question, maybe some more specific things I'm looking for will help.

I'd prefer a computer with windows on it(but only because that's the OS I'm most familiar with.) I'm willing to learn an new OS, but I'd rather not.

I'm not looking to play WoW on ultra graphics, just the highest settings(with the best FPS) that I can afford.

oooooooooolde
Donor

#4 » Post by oooooooooolde » 20 Jan 2016 19:50

I think this is a bit more accessible for you ^^

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Moore010

#5 » Post by Moore010 » 20 Jan 2016 22:37

Thanks a bunch, this helps out a lot, how well do you think the destitue build will run WoW? What's The highest reccomended graphics and expected FPS?

.DevX81

#6 » Post by .DevX81 » 20 Jan 2016 22:41

Going to be blunt here, you can barely obtain a PC for $200, let alone one that would run anything *good*. Wow is not crazy intensive but it WILL run like crap on most integrated graphic solutions (I've used my business class laptop for it and it struggles to maintain 30 fps at the almost worst settings).

Do you have a monitor? If not there's half your budget unless you shop garage sales. Also, Windows, at a minimum is going to cost you around $100.

Notice that site provided the absolute cheapest pile is almost $200, and that is without a monitor or operating system..

For that price point, you might be best off hitting up craigslist or something and seeing what used gear people have to sell. Or save up more cash. Even $300-400 will put you in a exponentially better setup.

.DevX81

#7 » Post by .DevX81 » 20 Jan 2016 22:45

That site actually listed the WoW expected frame rate if you hovered over the GPU section (which is kinda cool). Says less than 10 fps at 1080p, so I'd say you are looking at maybe 20 fps, at like 1024x768, with very low quality set for most options. (The business laptop I mentioned is more powerful than that, and I get about 20-30 fps @ 1366x768 with almost everything turned to lowest settings).

offheal

#8 » Post by offheal » 20 Jan 2016 23:05

Id just find local computer nerd club or forums and ask there, pretty sure people who are into pc building are piling their old parts.
WoW tbc+ is well optimised for all rigs( to maximise profit)
You clearly need dedicated GPU because integrated chipsets are just horrible.
As far as multi threading, all wow end patched have command
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/CVar_timingMethod
i think even vanilla ones.

Drumy
Location: YOUR MOTHER XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XDXDXD XD XD XD XDXD XD XD XD XD

#9 » Post by Drumy » 21 Jan 2016 19:43

have u tried turning it off and on again?
Huntr XD XD formal leader of shadowmourne XD XD XD
"Where did Majordomo go" /DBT/
"Spread out on Geddon" /DBT/
"Clever use of ingame mechanics" /VK/
"Im scratching for your spot" /Oivster/ XD XD XD
"What are you two doing in Molten Core" /VUUDUU/ XD XD