Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

Discussions, suggestions and error reports for the forums and website.
Heihachi
Developer

Re: Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

#31 » Post by Heihachi » 05 Aug 2013 03:56

i like dark themes :/ is there a way to have more then one theme (like we have now) but for all the tools/stuff we plan on adding?

Spoiler:

emsy
Former Staff

#32 » Post by emsy » 05 Aug 2013 03:59

Heihachi wrote:i like dark themes :/ is there a way to have more then one theme (like we have now) but for all the tools/stuff we plan on adding?

Spoiler:
Yes it is possible to have more themes, just like it is now. We'll still need to make the header/menu layouts for all of them

Heihachi
Developer

#33 » Post by Heihachi » 05 Aug 2013 04:02

emsy wrote:
Heihachi wrote:i like dark themes :/ is there a way to have more then one theme (like we have now) but for all the tools/stuff we plan on adding?

Spoiler:
Yes it is possible to have more themes, just like it is now. We'll still need to make the header/menu layouts for all of them
ok cool so we could add all of them (that win top three or something idk) and players can use on they are comfortable with. We do need more submissions before we can really start anything. We could also keep these styles for the ones that posted above that like them?

perka

#34 » Post by perka » 05 Aug 2013 04:13

Yes, having forum utilize the whole width of the page is a must. We ll have main page and forum separated, so that panel on the right side with info wont be shown while browsing forums, no ?
Hei its fine to use different themes but when it comes to whole style changing its a pain in D ass :) Our general idea when making GC was to have 2 themes - bright and dark, and if possible different styles for the whole page. Not going to tell you how it ended up when it came down to actually making all of that and support each minor change you do in future. You can still do it but once you have done everything else and dont plan anymore major changes.

Etro
Honorary Member

#35 » Post by Etro » 05 Aug 2013 04:15

perka wrote:There is no point in showing latest news as a slideshow while you are browsing forums for example, while you cant really have news section with a slideshow of news :D I just cant see how it will work. However you may make something to be shown like this while you are not logged in instead of the normal news page - highlights for newcomers.

Also i prefer having all buttons lower like on GC and not top, as it makes life so much easier to navigate, and as staff you will use them A LOT (i think general plan is to move all navigation from http://www.truewow.org/ left side panel into such buttons).
The slideshow would be visible from the website (i'd call it "News" section, really) and forums, in my idea.

The purpose of the slideshow would be to make notice of really important anouncements, not every topic that there is in the general anouncements andchangelogs forums.

Also, some people don't browse the entire forums, or they don't browse them at all. Some go only to the QC reports, others to the Costumer Support forums to report a problem, etc. This slideshow would adress that with quick notices, and, of course, serve as a news' highlight.
emsy wrote:
perka wrote:Also i prefer having all buttons lower like on GC and not top, as it makes life so much easier to navigate, and as staff you will use them A LOT (i think general plan is to move all navigation from http://www.truewow.org/ left side panel into such buttons).
Doesn't matter that much where they are. The menu can even be on right side in one of those boxes. Even though it'd be better for forum to utilize whole width of the page as ppl tend to post big pictures and it's probably clearer that way too.
I prefer the menus to be on the right side because of the focus of the dominant eye, which is the right eye for most people. Although it isn't a game changer, it is easier that way to keep track and notice other things that otherwise you could miss if you're not paying attention.
I have a few themes thought out already: The TW default theme, TW Shadow theme (dark), TW Holy theme (light), Alliance Theme and Horde theme. I'd like to realise them and maybe more if my suggestion gets elected.
Last edited by Etro on 05 Aug 2013 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Heihachi
Developer

#36 » Post by Heihachi » 05 Aug 2013 04:17

perka wrote:Yes, having forum utilize the whole width of the page is a must. We ll have main page and forum separated, so that panel on the right side with info wont be shown while browsing forums, no ?
Hei its fine to use different themes but when it comes to whole style changing its a pain in D ass :) Our general idea when making GC was to have 2 themes - bright and dark, and if possible different styles for the whole page. Not going to tell you how it ended up when it came down to actually making all of that and support each minor change you do in future. You can still do it but once you have done everything else and dont plan anymore major changes.
Yea i understand just seeing if its possible with a very little amount of effort dont want to do a bunch of useless things just for a small visual.

Etro
Honorary Member

#37 » Post by Etro » 05 Aug 2013 04:21

perka wrote:Yes, having forum utilize the whole width of the page is a must. We ll have main page and forum separated, so that panel on the right side with info wont be shown while browsing forums, no ?
If a more unified experience is the objective, my opinion is to keep that right side panel in both sections.

If images are a problem then a size restriction could be applied. Although, the skin i proposed already has way more horizontal space than the current one. I don't think that space will be a problem.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

perka

#38 » Post by perka » 05 Aug 2013 04:37

I prefer having main page separated from forum. Having all that general information (from right side panel(s) for example) is not of use to anyone reading forums tbh.
After all, the ratio between new people to old people who visit the website is in a massive favor of "old". It will probably become an annoyance with time (at least i see how after some time i will want to hide it as well as any other thing ive already know and seen X times).

emsy
Former Staff

#39 » Post by emsy » 05 Aug 2013 04:41

Hm, so the top carousel will have the News as they are now on homepage of TW?
Even though it's nice, wouldn't it be better to keep the main news on a separate site as it is now? Not all announcements will fit into that small box.

Yes i agree that the menus should be on same position and contain the same thing whether u'r on forum, armory, webtools or homepage.

Etro
Honorary Member

#40 » Post by Etro » 05 Aug 2013 04:54

No no, the slideshow would only serve as a news' highlight. Like polls, contests, important fixes, vote site challenges. And only recent ones, maybe 2 weeks top (?).

The news on the slideshow would link to the forums and/or to the news section where the full news are hosted.

To make it simple, its purpose would be to highlight anything that the staff considers the most important for people to be aware of at the moment. The staff could choose what goes in there.

Etro
Honorary Member

#41 » Post by Etro » 07 Aug 2013 11:56

Below is an other "shadow" draft of mine.

I like this one a lot more. It looks way cleaner and more organized, the colours are more alive (?), more spaced and not so tight.

This time i set how all the boxes would look like in there. I reorganized the links a bit and made a whole new box called "Registry". I also eliminated some links that in my opinion are unnecessary or that are better placed somewhere else.

Once upon a time there was a horrible design here. Not anymore, though.
Last edited by Etro on 18 Dec 2013 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

emsy
Former Staff

#42 » Post by emsy » 07 Aug 2013 17:30

I like this more then the previous one. Maybe the background could use something more than just a solid color. The menus will be reorganized as there'll be way more links. Either all of them will be on right, or we'll use a dropdown menus on top. (probably the latter to leave as much width to forums as possible)

perka

#43 » Post by perka » 07 Aug 2013 19:53

I also like latest one way more. I dont mind having some simple Slideshow instead of full sized banner on top but not both, just dont think its worth it in this case.
Im afraid we are forced to use drop down menus as there will be too many things we plan to add. It will just be endless scrolling or pressing buttons to extend/hide the list. Too much inconvenience.
Based on that i dont see how User Control Panel will fit on the right side (while on forum) and i still support full width of the page for the forums.
Keep up the good work.

Etro
Honorary Member

#44 » Post by Etro » 08 Aug 2013 00:03

emsy wrote:I like this more then the previous one. Maybe the background could use something more than just a solid color. The menus will be reorganized as there'll be way more links. Either all of them will be on right, or we'll use a dropdown menus on top. (probably the latter to leave as much width to forums as possible)
And @perka.

Regarding the draft looks: There's a lot missing, the only artwork is the TW emblem, but it is just a placeholder. I really like the colours of the links and the style of the "read" and "unread" forums, so that would stay the same in my concept. But there's still need of a background, Forums icons, etc. These drafts are just to give the idea of the feeling and organization of my concept of the new website.

Regarding the panels: My opinion is still to keep them in the right side. Why? Well, there's the focus of the dominant eye, which is the right eye for most people. This means that the scope of the sight of the website would be wider. Also, to keep the verticality of the website, because of the horizontal alignment of our eyes it is easier for us to create a mental image of the website for later to recognize, and mixed with the right eye focus it just is more comfortable to look at. In other words, my opinion is that a right side panel is just more user friendly.

Also, in my design, all the important stuff would be in the User panel, so there won't be a need to scroll down at all unless you're looking for stuff that isn't really essential to the TrueWoW experience. It fits just fine in my wide screen laptop.

Regarding the links: I don't understand why you would put more links in there. It'll just make the website more messy and crowded.

In my draft i took away the report QC bugs links because i think the link should go in the QC tool only. Forums and in-game options should go under "Manage Account" which is really self explanatory.

perka

#45 » Post by perka » 08 Aug 2013 00:41

I think u dont understand some parts :) or at least not fully.
I agree that panels in right side are better then on left but we talk about ~35+ links which is a nightmare to navigate. As someone who used both methods, clicking like crazy 1481818 times a day each link to check all the stuff in there i do find it problematic (especially for the hand movement :P)
Also many ppl will find everything shown all the time annoying and would prefer a way to hide some aspects. And they may not be fans of hide/show stuff buttons all the time :)
Check out both types:
http://www.truewow.org/ - left side panel
http://www.gamingconsortium.org/forum/ - top dropdown menu

p.s. also im still concerned how diff color text will look like (so we need some solid background for posts)
perka wrote:Forgot to mention: make sure to test how a massive wall of text will look (green, yellow, red, orange texts at least :))
p.s. as a reference to what i mean http://www.gamingconsortium.org/forum/v ... =13&t=7716