Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

Discussions, suggestions and error reports for the forums and website.
Etro
Honorary Member

Re: Website makeover [ stage #1 ]

#46 » Post by Etro » 08 Aug 2013 01:08

If there's going to be a lot of links (which i still don't understand why) then i agree that the links should be in dropdowns, but i insist that they be in the right side and not top.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

perka

#47 » Post by perka » 08 Aug 2013 01:34

I wonder how this will be done and look coz i think they will overlap and take more time to go from 1 to the other menu button. They will be like 8 buttons containing all those links (only tools are like 15-16 links, when u add all valuable information and statistics it grows).

Etro
Honorary Member

#48 » Post by Etro » 08 Aug 2013 01:43

I remember that Adobe Muse had a very nice default vertical dropdown menu. Molten WoW used something similar to see how many players were online per realm. Or, maybe, even a dropdown menu that is displayed on the side.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

emsy
Former Staff

#49 » Post by emsy » 08 Aug 2013 03:02

Will try to assemble a complete list of links and their groups tomorrow with perka, so that we can see how to organize the menus. Some hiding will be necessary, but the most used links should be always visible. I like the boxes on right, but i don't see how we fit all links in there.

I like the overall concept, the colors and style of gradients and shadings. Really looking forward as the design develops.

Etro
Honorary Member

#50 » Post by Etro » 08 Aug 2013 03:07

I am working on a new design that embraces dropdown menus better. It is a combination between the design i've already suggested, the current forum's layout, and a new skin.

Maybe i'll end up liking the new one a lot more, and i hope you too. We'll see :P

Intervention
Former Staff

#51 » Post by Intervention » 08 Aug 2013 03:14

I do like the latest design more. What i don't like is the numbers are just floating with no description of what they mean. I can assume they are number of topics or something but a little heading above it would be nice.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Etro
Honorary Member

#52 » Post by Etro » 09 Aug 2013 12:46

I guess i'm impatient today.
I'll post the design anyway. Just consider the links as placeholders, like usual.

Seeing as Perka and Emsy are convinced in using horizontal dropdown menus on the top of the website, i decided to try a whole new design that could embrace that organization. I'm still very against it with the design you all have been seeing so far, because, in my opinion, horizontal menus don't match with a mainly vertical layout. But i'm totally fine with it in my new design, i actually favour it. In fact, i idealised it on the very thought of an horizontal order.

I like this result much more than the previous one. I even ask you to disregard the Metropolis skin based design entirely and favour this one instead:

Once upon a time there was a horrible design here. Not anymore, though.

In my previous post i said that i was basing this new design on the following things:
  • Metropolis Skin based design: From this design i took the colours, the font, the truewow emblem style and the "Who is online & Statistics" section.
  • Current Forums' Layout: The forums boxes, most notably. I pretty much enjoy the simplicity of its concept: Only its title, the description and "is there anything new on this forum?". Also, its space usage is way more practical and advantageous.
    Not to mention it would help with an easier transition.
  • A new skin: Unfortunately, i made too many changes for the skin to remain an actual base for my design. The only things that stand are the login section and the background's light sources. Everything else is completely different.
    Here is the link to the demo if you whish to check it out and compare: http://demo.rockettheme.com/phpbb3/index.php?style=104 . But i'm guessing that if this design gets elected, you won't be able to start working on it with that skin.
That's it. I hope you like it as much as i do.

Off-topic: I see you set my Battle.net theme Truewow logo as the staff icon. I'm very glad :D
Last edited by Etro on 18 Dec 2013 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

Kengur

#53 » Post by Kengur » 11 Aug 2013 01:40

Is it possible to have the same bugtracker as on GC?

perka

#54 » Post by perka » 11 Aug 2013 03:19

Kengur, we will after the accounts are linked.

I like how top is shaping up, i think it may require little more tweaks here and there.
Personally im not a fan of those boxes for forum but its also something that can work.

We are making good progress so far.

p.s. For now we are looking for something like 6 main categories for forum (Staff, Information, Discussion, Game, Support, Other).
Forum sections in each category will be max 6 (maybe with exception for staff).
Just as note so you can incorporate that into your design if you like.

Etro
Honorary Member

#55 » Post by Etro » 11 Aug 2013 05:11

What tweaks do you think it may require?

perka

#56 » Post by perka » 11 Aug 2013 05:38

emsy is a little busy atm but he will provide addition information and feedback :)

emsy
Former Staff

#57 » Post by emsy » 11 Aug 2013 06:09

I like this design. I"m a bit busy this weekend so feedback will be slower.

Few notes:
- The forums could easily be for full line for several reasons: 1) there won't be so many of them 2) the descriptions might be long 3) I'd like to see an icon there for easier orientation (at least at those most important) 4) it can also contain information about last post and its time, or total number of topics/posts
- top menu is pretty cool, nto sure how many categories we'll have but 6 should be enough
- search will look weird on the banners. Rather put there carousel navigation (the dots which represents pages of the banner carousel). Mby put the search top left?
- Very requested feature is current server time (very useful for players living in other zones). Maybe top left?
- OT: the blizz icon was annoying me

I don't think anyone else will come up with an amazing design, so guess this will be it.

Etro
Honorary Member

#58 » Post by Etro » 11 Aug 2013 06:51

emsy wrote: - The forums could easily be for full line for several reasons: 1) there won't be so many of them 2) the descriptions might be long 3) I'd like to see an icon there for easier orientation (at least at those most important) 4) it can also contain information about last post and its time, or total number of topics/posts
1) How many forums will be there?
2) & 3) I could make it 2 boxes per line.
4) I understand the use of displaying that info in topics, but not in forums. I could increase the height of the boxes if you still decide on it, but i really don't recommend it.

Please, keep the boxes. I thought this design on the very idea of a pure horizontal order. Let the verticality rule on the topics.
emsy wrote: - search will look weird on the banners. Rather put there carousel navigation (the dots which represents pages of the banner carousel). Mby put the search top left?
Ok, i'd put it next to the social websites icons. To keep all the inputs aligned (login, password and search).
emsy wrote: - Very requested feature is current server time (very useful for players living in other zones). Maybe top left?
Ok, i'd place it in the top right, though. Where the indexes are and above the login section. People that are going to register could spot it more easily.

perka

#59 » Post by perka » 11 Aug 2013 06:51

Can you show us also how main page will look ? (News section on left, right side panels for server status and information)
I also would like to have some tiny panel with few quick links like "New to the server?" - bottom right panel from http://www.gamingconsortium.org/ . Mby put it before server panels as its small and important.

What are our plans for all the voting sites ? Do we plan to incorporate some panel for them on main page or leave them somewhere withing the menus (UCP) ?

p.s. Is it possible for u to replace that solid black color with a little less one (mby some variation of grey) as different text colors will really stand out too much and may hurt eyes. Same color can be used for posts background. And ye i keep asking coz i didnt get answer as of yet :)

p.s. 2 :P
We are currently looking for 6 main categories as i wrote in my previous post - Staff will have 3 sections with various subsections. Subsections will be shown once you enter main section not like now. Some forum sections will act as redirection, some will contain only subsections while other will not only contain various subsections, but let you post in them aswell. For the other 5 we are looking into 3-6 sections per each.
Total forum sections - 25 (mby + 1-3 more if need arise).

Etro
Honorary Member

#60 » Post by Etro » 11 Aug 2013 07:03

Do you mean the dark blue colour of the boxes? Well, i tried this:
Once upon a time there was a horrible design here. Not anymore, though.

Regarding the rest: Sure, i'll make one for the main page. But i think a top panel for the quick links would be better. The panel that you have in GC wastes too much space, IMO.
Last edited by Etro on 18 Dec 2013 18:03, edited 1 time in total.