Social Research

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
narcissa
Donor

Social Research

#1 » Post by narcissa » 21 May 2011 01:09

Hi everyone.
I'm doing a small research on MMORPGs for University and I'm collecting some data, so I'd like to ask few questions.
Of course you can make different accounts from your usuals and answer anonymously or send me a pm if you prefer. Alternatively you can send me a mail at wowsocialresearch@hotmail.com

I'd like to know:
a. gender
b. age
c. country
d. your educational level and what you're currently doing in your life, whether it's a school or a job
e. if you live on your own
f. if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend or if you're married and if there's any kids
g. what is the type of social life that you have, if it's a choice or a condition
h. if you're currently happy with your life and what do you want to accomplish
i. what brought you into wow, how long have you been playing and why do you play
j. how many hours a week you play
k. if your behaviour in the game is different than the one irl and in what aspects
l. based on what you choose the avatar gender
m. what do you like about wow and what you don't
n. if you like pvp and why or why not
o. how many characters you have and their level

I would really appreciate it if you took the time for this ^^
Thank you.
Hang in there, baby.

JizzyJay

Re: Social Research

#2 » Post by JizzyJay » 21 May 2011 01:32

a. gender: male
b. age: 25
c. country: United States
d. your educational level and what you're currently doing in your life, whether it's a school or a job: currently a senior student in the Anthropology department at my University.
e. if you live on your own: yes
f. if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend or if you're married and if there's any kids: single (duh, i play wow!! :P)
g. what is the type of social life that you have, if it's a choice or a condition: condition - i moved to an isolated city for school with few social outlets.
h. if you're currently happy with your life and what do you want to accomplish: i am never content with life, but satisfied in trying to do better.
i. what brought you into wow, how long have you been playing and why do you play: i started playing in beta because i love Blizzard entertainment and wanted to help them test their games. Also i had 2 jobs and full time school with needy girlfriend at the time so maybe i needed an "escape". i played until BC launched then quit until i recently start again on Truewow.
j. how many hours a week you play: 5-20
k. if your behaviour in the game is different than the one irl and in what aspects: same, except maybe i am more polite to people in game (sometimes hard to show you are joking around in-game)
l. based on what you choose the avatar gender: i choose male for melee chars and caster for female
m. what do you like about wow and what you don't: i like meeting new friends and working togeather with them to overcome difficult challenges/ganking lowbies in STV, and i don't like people that are rude and make other people feel stupid for being noob.
n. if you like pvp and why or why not: i love PVP, without it the game feels too easy.
o. how many characters you have and their level: 5 Level 60's on retail when i quit before TBC, and now a lvl 55 on truewow

Intervention
Former Staff

#3 » Post by Intervention » 21 May 2011 07:46

I wasn't going to say anything but you as a University student should know that collecting data in this fashion for your research report goes against many ethical principles that you should know about. I should delete or lock this post because some of the questions here are quite personal to some individuals and there's little to no debrief but i will keep it open for now....but for those answering it, just be weary.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

narcissa
Donor

#4 » Post by narcissa » 21 May 2011 10:50

........... wth?
It's just a small research I need to do, I'm in Architecture but I need to do a small social research too. I said that people could post anonymously, there's no way I can know who is telling what if you don't choose to say who you are. People in here many times talk about them, they have said where they are from, they have said what they do in their lives, they have posted their faces too. And now you come here to complain about it just because I'm asking some personal questions that can answered anonymously? I'm not asking any names, adresses, e-mail, photos, personal health or anything. But Intervention, your personal feelings here about who I am is going too far. Go on and lock this, I'll just invent the data for my reasearch and that will be more ethical.
Hang in there, baby.

Hoeaholic

#5 » Post by Hoeaholic » 21 May 2011 11:56

Im going to post it here cuz im to lazy to open gmail :P
a. gender: Male
b. age: 14 almost 15 Doesnt matter :P
c. country: Serbia
d. your educational level and what you're currently doing in your life, whether it's a school or a job: I think in america thats called Middle School here is called Srednja Skola
e. if you live on your own: with Mah Mom >(
f. if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend or if you're married and if there's any kids: Single/Hookin'
g. what is the type of social life that you have, if it's a choice or a condition: coooooooool im funny guy >D
h. if you're currently happy with your life and what do you want to accomplish: Ahhh, i can say that im happy with some thing :D
i. what brought you into wow, how long have you been playing and why do you play: 6 Years ago my fathers worker, showed me wow and then i started playin it, i stayed to play this game cuz here no1 cares how are you looking, everyone is just having fun :D
j. how many hours a week you play: Idk it was almost all my free time but now, maybe about 3-4 h daily
k. if your behaviour in the game is different than the one irl and in what aspects: im the same person if someone pisses me off, im gonna rage :P
l. based on what you choose the avatar gender: Im male duuuuuh!
m. what do you like about wow and what you don't: I like making new friendships and getting geared feeling more overpower than others, but not on this server yet :P, what i dont like too much thing to write...
n. if you like pvp and why or why not:"Hell yea this game would be boring without it i do only Pve to get something i need for PVP
o. how many characters you have and their level Here i only have 1 - 80 Warrior
Night Elf Warrior - PvP Arms/Prot

narcissa
Donor

#6 » Post by narcissa » 21 May 2011 12:51

Thanks to who posted until now, it really helps me out. One thing I forgot to say is that this study won't be pubblished, it's not a professional study and I only need it to pass an exam.

For those that don't mind I'll add 2 more questions,again you can answer anonymously.
1. Did your most positive experience you had over the period of the past 7 days occurred in an MMORPG or in real-life, and if it was in game what was it.
2. Did your most negative experience you had over the period of the past 7 days occurred in an MMORPG or in real-life, and if it was in game what was it.
Hang in there, baby.

Hoeaholic

#7 » Post by Hoeaholic » 21 May 2011 13:08

1. Did your most positive experience you had over the period of the past 7 days occurred in an MMORPG or in real-life, and if it was in game what was it.: Ooo hell yea in personal life :D
2. Did your most negative experience you had over the period of the past 7 days occurred in an MMORPG or in real-life, and if it was in game what was it.: idk didnt have any negative exp. i past days i think :D

peacelover

#8 » Post by peacelover » 22 May 2011 12:54

As you ask.

I'd like to know:
a. male
b. 23 as of today :D
c. Poland
d. stopped studies at uni, working and restarting them
e. parents >_>
f. got a girlfriend
g. good dont have any problems with social >_<
h. not really faild at uni so now i'm angry at myself... but working on it ;D
i. what brought you into wow, - boredom >_> + the fact that i am and will be gamer.
j. dunno but i think too much ;p
k. nope. still the same.
l. nothing >_< didnt really think about this... just took male as i'm one ;p
m. i like the wow universum where there is many things to acomplish in pve. dont like the fact that many more people abandoned pve for PvP only . but thats just imho
n. i dont mind pvp it IS fun dont get me wrong here. tho i prefer pve as i never really played wow earlier and want to acomplish as much as i can from it.
o. got 3 tho i really play only on Kleryk: Kleryk lvl80, Combobreaker lvl3x, and Akerion lvl4x.

Well think thats it ;P
Don't Forget To Forgive Your Enemies...For Them There Is Nothi g Much More Annoying - Kleryk The Priest.

Officer of the Organization XIII

Intervention
Former Staff

#9 » Post by Intervention » 23 May 2011 08:41

there's no way I can know who is telling what if you don't choose to say who you are.
Their forum names are showing which 90% of the time are always linked to their in-game character.
People in here many times talk about them, they have said where they are from, they have said what they do in their lives, they have posted their faces too.
I'm just saying, doing actual research is different than just a real life pictures topic. Plus, if you read through the real life pictures topic (and maybe the others) you notice that staff have deleted posts, pictures and also warned players about posting themselves on the Internet.
just because I'm asking some personal questions that can answered anonymously?
My point right here. Personal questions grant personal information which isn't so personal anymore once they post it here. It's their choice but as you said, some questions are personal and it isn't really anonymous seems you can see their account name right on the left <---------
But Intervention, your personal feelings here about who I am is going too far.
I'm not showing personal feelings, I'm just giving a warning to those who wish to post on this topic. I do heavy research myself and if was going to use a forum to gather some data i would do it via personal message system so others couldn't get to read their answers and thus, keeping their answers secure.

Anyway, they don't know you, i don't know you, who knows if this is real research or you're just bored or wanting to find out some information to attempt to hack accounts. I figured it would be best that i would post a warning before people didn't think twice about answering some of these questions. That's all i was suggesting.
Chicken, Fried Chicken

narcissa
Donor

#10 » Post by narcissa » 23 May 2011 09:22

Their forum names are showing which 90% of the time are always linked to their in-game character.
-->
Of course you can make different accounts from your usuals and answer anonymously
I'm just saying, doing actual research is different than just a real life pictures topic. Plus, if you read through the real life pictures topic (and maybe the others) you notice that staff have deleted posts, pictures and also warned players about posting themselves on the Internet.
lolwut?
My point right here. Personal questions grant personal information which isn't so personal anymore once they post it here. It's their choice but as you said, some questions are personal and it isn't really anonymous seems you can see their account name right on the left <---------
again --->
Of course you can make different accounts from your usuals and answer anonymously
I'm not showing personal feelings, I'm just giving a warning to those who wish to post on this topic. I do heavy research myself and if was going to use a forum to gather some data i would do it via personal message system so others couldn't get to read their answers and thus, keeping their answers secure.
---->
or send me a pm if you prefer. Alternatively you can send me a mail at wowsocialresearch@hotmail.com
Anyway, they don't know you, i don't know you, who knows if this is real research or you're just bored or wanting to find out some information to attempt to hack accounts. I figured it would be best that i would post a warning before people didn't think twice about answering some of these questions. That's all i was suggesting.
yeah, I can totally get personal info on their account to hack them by knowing:
a. their gender
b. their age
c. their country
d. their educational level and what they're currently doing in their life, whether it's a school or a job
e. if they live on their own (actually i can break into their house with this info)
f. if they're in a relationship
g. what is the type of social life that they have
h. if they're currently happy with their life and what do they want to accomplish
i. what brought them into wow, how long have they been playing and why do they play
j. how many hours a week do they play
k. if their behaviour in the game is different than the one irl and in what aspects (i can totally study their inner self and gather even more data with this info, i could also blackmail them)
l. based on what they choose the avatar gender (same goes here)
m. what do they like about wow and what they don't
n. if they like pvp and why or why not (this is a hot burning personal question! beware.)
o. how many characters do they have and their level (and give me the account names and pass please)

Just drop it Inter, you're making a fool of yourself, if you wanna close it because of
your personal feelings here about who I am
go on, just stop this nonsense.
Hang in there, baby.

Hellwing

#11 » Post by Hellwing » 23 May 2011 09:38

Well...all this time...
i just...cant believe this...
all this time together,and u are nothing but a truewow account H4x0r ???
You just wanted to hack my account too,right ?!
Thank you Intervention! Thank you cause u made me see who she really is!!!
(i wish that the Inspector Gadget wont find who i am soon...)

>Pic Related.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Intervention
Former Staff

#12 » Post by Intervention » 23 May 2011 10:57

This is a perfect example of how defensive people can get over a warning to the forum posters.

You are pathetic. And your reply with arrows with quotes made no sense at all. I love how you are getting all defensive instead of just reading my original post and replying "Yeah okay, i know fair enough"

Derive a some what decent argument instead and stop making a fool of yourself. By the way, those questions could possibly lead to any secret answer question they have. Their password could be their family name! Who knows!?
Chicken, Fried Chicken

Warpath

#13 » Post by Warpath » 23 May 2011 12:51

Inter is right
Sometimes life seems so unfortunate, that's why I don't give a shit.
The poor stay poor, the rich get richer, it's just so disproportionate.
You don't know just what I've gone through, that's why I would rather show you
just how far that I can take it, every rule, I'm breaking it...

Good enough for you now ? Or u gonna start crying again ?

Hoeaholic

#14 » Post by Hoeaholic » 23 May 2011 13:12

I dont give a crap >:P

Hellwing

#15 » Post by Hellwing » 23 May 2011 13:27

Ok,Intervention,im looking at this post and the only thing i could make till know is having some fun with ur non-sense posts like : Personal questions grant personal information which isn't so personal anymore once they post it here. It's their choice but as you said, some questions are personal.
>Personal Personal Personal Personal Anonymous Personal,have u ever completed first grade or still fighting for it ? u are from Australia and dont know how to write.

Later on,u just gone far enough with >You are pathetic.
We all know that the little Internet communities are very diffrent than the real ones.
We all know that reality may bring consequences and a keyboard cant. Start/Log out/the end.
But some things cant be hide behind any computer,first of all,the fact that u talk like that to a woman.I really pity u about that,didnt they learn u anything at home,on how to talk to other people ? after all u are a gm or whatever else u are,u should first go to anger managment then take any title.

After all she clearly told u,that,i u want to delete the post,go,just do it,no need to whine about quotes and arrows that arent put in the right place.
Everyone can see what are u writing,and believe i know many people that know who is making a fool of himself as much as i am here in truewow and talked to people that dont have phycological problems.

>Ah,and warry*
Are u two really so close that are protecting each other ?
The results of stoping to lick everyones asshole brings manlyness,try it.

People that write here arent full of complex like u two, and what u said its not a warning,its trying to show that u can close or lock a post...wich makes u powerfull,yes ?

You can say it like this otherwise: Please people that are posting their personal information they are doing it with they own decision and the forum or site has nothing to do with any leak of them.
Let people decide if they are smart enought to write on a post that has open the sweetest hacker in truewow,its kinda risky tho ;)
(and im pretty sure that ur going to continue and talk talk and talk,cause u dont know when to stop talking)